Council Trashes Increase

There was a lot of trash talk at the special meeting of the Watonga City Council Monday evening. The question was raised as to why there was a proposed 16% increase to the garbage rates.

Interim City Manager Karrie Little explained that the lion’s share – 13% -- was to cover the cost of running the convenience center, often referred to as the dump. The budget showed an estimated cost of more than $100,000 annually to keep the facility open two Saturday mornings a month. Residents can drop off their bulk trash at no fee for the first ton by showing a current utility bill.

Little said the prior council had elected to keep the facility open to encourage cleanup of the town. Mayor Ryan Bruner is the lone remaining member of that council.“ I understood the discussion and the reasons for keeping it open,” he said. “But I don’t feel the same way about it as I did.”

Member Neal Riley was upfront about his opposition. “I don’t like that 16% increase.”

Little said it could be reduced to 2.9%, or about one dollar per poly cart citywide, if the convenience center was closed.

Council member Howard Hursh voiced his opposition. “I don’t use it myself, but I sure like to have it there if needed. I should expect to pay for that some way or somehow,” he said to explain his preference for keeping the facility open but raising the rate.

Roy Hampton wondered out loud what residents would do with their bulk trash if the facility was closed.

Little said those without other ways to dispose of bulk trash such as furniture, renovation debris or appliances could call the city for a removal estimate. Someone would come, estimate the amount of refuse and price it to the resident.

Little said the city has no choice but to charge the rates set by FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Its website May 6 showed a bulk rate of $18 per cubic yard for green waste and $22 per cubic yard for home debris.

Bruner said that provided a way for residents to get rid of bulk waste, and that was how he was leaning.

Little also pointed out residents who know they will soon generate significant waste could arrange for a roll off, at their own expense.

When it came time to take a survey of the council – this was only a budget discussion and no vote would be taken – it was decided to remove the convenience center from the document. More than one council member said the move would require increased enforcement of city codes concerning garbage and other waste.

As the meeting tapered to its end, Riley asked why scoreboards for the ball fields had been left in the proposal when they had been given the thumbs down at the last budget review. Little said that with the item left in, the city could seek other funding avenues but could not if the scoreboards were left off the budget, and if there was not enough in the coffers to pay for them, the city wasn’t required to make the purchase. She also said there had been some interest in the project by parties outside city government.

The budget proposal will be aired at a public hearing at 5:30 p.m. May 20, immediately prior to the council meeting at which it will be voted on.