Q&A Session Will Feature School Bond Question

When the Geary School Board met on Monday in regular session, its first item of business was cake.

The board had refreshments on hand to commemorate the retirement of Ted Hicks who had been the maintenance man at the school district for 25 years. Following a congratulatory presentation from the superintendent, Hicks and his family left the meeting and regular business resumed.

That business included noting that Quaid Lawson had placed fifth in the state in powerlifting, Derrick Pratt had placed third in the state in wrestling, and Raden Berg, Maddy Evey, Hollis Harrell and Oaklyn Pratt had all had phenomenal seasons, going to the state tournament either to wrestle in their weight class or to serve as alternates. Superintendent Sean Buchanan pointed out that Geary has a long and proud history of wrestling greatness, and he was impressed to see that legacy continue.

It was also pointed out that Joachim Buchanan, as a seventh-grader, had won second in the state in an Esports competition.

The superintendent said the district’s campaign to inform the voters about an upcoming bond issue question continues via videos on social media, but a regular town hall on the matter will be held at 6 p.m. Monday, March 9 at the fieldhouse. That bond question, asking for $5 million, will go to the voters April 7.

Meanwhile, site work continues. The old agriculture building and the bus barn are being taken down in a careful manner, Buchanan said, so that the structures can be reused later. The foundations for each is being demolished and removed so that the area can be used for new buildings after the entire high school campus was damaged by fire, water and smoke almost a year ago.

One obstacle has been overcome with the city of Geary allowing the school district to relocate a gas line that would essentially run under the new construction site. The district has agreed to pay the cost of the line relocation, and is waiting on the gas vendor to determine the new location of the line. The city’s electric provider is also working with the district, scheduling a visit to begin arranging three phase power to the new buildings.

The new construction is being funded predominantly by the insurance on the destroyed building. The additional $5 million would allow the district to house all students on a single campus, segregating upper level students from elementary kids via separate but connected buildings.

The board is of the opinion that solution would improve safety and reduce costs of utilities and maintenance on the building. By piggybacking the consolidation of the elementary with the junior/ senior high school construction, the district can essentially gain an entirely new facility. The insurance payout is estimated at $14 million.